Diploma (DipWCF) - End Point Assessment Apprentices
Click here to return to DipWCF information
Under the new apprenticeship from September 2019, all apprentices now have to complete an end-point assessment (EPA) to complete their qualification. The EPA is designed to test whether each apprentice has gained the skills, knowledge and behaviours outlined in the standard, and grade each learner according to their performance.
The government indicate that apprenticeship schemes must now have end point assessments that consist of the following:-
1. A single assessment approach for each occupation
2. The apprenticeship must involve some form of end-point assessment
3. Part of the assessment must be graded
The Farriery apprenticeships already consist of a robust end point assessment to a evaluate apprentices. The Diploma of the Worshipful Company of Farriers (DipWCF) has been established as an internationally accepted standard for qualified farriery. This means that we are fortunate in already having a framework in place from which to enhance our apprenticeship assessment. The DipWCF will not change so much in essence, but rather in labelling. Going forward it will be referred to as an EPA and include a few more exam components.
How will the EPA work?
When an apprentice is ready to take the EPA, their employer will put them forward for the assessment. The requirements for each assessment are laid out in the apprenticeship standard.
EPAs must follow these rules:
- They must be delivered by an independent end-point assessment organisation with no affiliation to the employer or training provider involved in the apprenticeship.
- All end-point assessment providers must be approved before being added to the Register of Apprentice Assessment Organisations (RoAAO).
- The apprentice cannot achieve their apprenticeship without passing the end-point assessment.
The WCF Diploma examination/ EPA fulfils this criteria. In four years time once the first cohort have progressed through the scheme, the WCF will be known as the EPA awarding organisation that delivered the final assessment.
Farrier Apprenticeship Standard
Farrier Assessment Plan
WCF - Statement of Intent
Below you can find the assessment preparation and practice resources for the apprentices. These will help the employer and training provider to decide when their apprentice is occupationally competent and ready to take EPA.Guidance for Professional Behaviours